Monochrome/greyscale and software dithering in the kernel

Noralf Trønnes noralf at tronnes.org
Thu Aug 3 14:58:49 UTC 2017

Hi,

The tinydrm/repaper driver is monochrome, but I have just used an
emulation format XRGB8888, since monochrome support is scarce in
userspace. I'm using ITU BT.601 to convert from rgb to greyscale and
then use the msb for monochrome.

Now I'm asked if we can implement Floyd–Steinberg dithering in the driver
to make it more useful, so userspace can work reasonably well with
default tools/libs. I did have that in the first stage of the driver
development, but decided against it, since I figured this was the
responsibility of userspace not the kernel. But personally it doesn't
really matter to me either way.

So the question is, can I say yes to such an addition?

Noralf.