nouveau driver locks up with 4.11 kernel

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 14 20:35:18 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Michal Hocko <mhocko at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Mon 14-08-17 15:27:20, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Michal Hocko <mhocko at kernel.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > nouveau 0000:03:00.0: fifo: channel 6 [mpv/vo[3535]] kick timeout
>> > nouveau: mpv/vo[3535]:00000000:0000906f: detach gr failed, -110
>>
>> Are you using mpv in conjunction with the GL video output and
>> VDPAU-based acceleration? That will kill nouveau. For VDPAU, I
>> recommend mplayer.
>
> Well, I am using mplayer package and vo=sdl. Which video output should I

Well, according to the logs you're using "mpv", which, along with
mplayer2, is not mplayer. I recommend mplayer. Not sure what the sdl
video output does TBH, I've never used it -- perhaps mpv still manages
to use GL for that? xv and vdpau are ones to use. [ In order to use
VDPAU for decoding, you of course have to follow the instructions at
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/#firmware ]

> try instead? Btw. xine seems to be using VDPAU as well, yet it doesn't
> lockup the whole X session. The videou output doesn't work properly
> either but at least I am able to kill xine and still have the session.

Happy to explain all the dirty details on IRC if you're curious. Doing
things in multiple threads kills nouveau, and mpv does precisely that.