DRM Format Modifiers in v4l2

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 25 08:14:03 UTC 2017

On 24/08/17 14:26, Brian Starkey wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 01:37:35PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> On 08/24/17 13:14, Brian Starkey wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,

>>> I think normally the modifier would be set by userspace. However it
>>> might not necessarily be device-specific code. In DRM the intention is
>>> for userspace to query the set of modifiers which are supported, and
>>> then use them without necessarily knowing exactly what they mean
>>> (insofar as that is possible).
>>>
>>> e.g. if I have two devices which support MODIFIER_FOO, I could attempt
>>> to share a buffer between them which uses MODIFIER_FOO without
>>> necessarily knowing exactly what it is/does.

>>> I don't quite follow this last bit. The control could report the set
>>> of supported modifiers.
>>
>> What I mean was: an application can use the modifier to give buffers from
>> one device to another without needing to understand it.
>>
>> But a generic video capture application that processes the video itself
>> cannot be expected to know about the modifiers. It's a custom HW specific
>> format that you only use between two HW devices or with software written
>> for that hardware.
>>

> Yes, makes sense.
>

>>> However, in DRM the API lets you get the supported formats for each
>>> modifier as-well-as the modifier list itself. I'm not sure how exactly
>>> to provide that in a control.
>>
>> We have support for a 'menu' of 64 bit integers: V4L2_CTRL_TYPE_INTEGER_MENU.
>> You use VIDIOC_QUERYMENU to enumerate the available modifiers.
>>
>> So enumerating these modifiers would work out-of-the-box.
>
> Right. So I guess the supported set of formats could be somehow
> enumerated in the menu item string. In DRM the pairs are (modifier +
> bitmask) where bits represent formats in the supported formats list
> (commit db1689aa61bd in drm-next). Printing a hex representation of
> the bitmask would be functional but I concede not very pretty.

So this patch limits the number of formats to 64 (being the size of
the bit mask). I was hoping these modifiers applied to all formats,
but unfortunately that isn't the case apparently.

How it would work with my proposal is that the integer menu control
would reflect the list of supported modifiers for the currently selected
format. If you change format, then the available modifier list changes
as well. The advantage is that there is no '64 formats' limitation,
something that I feel very uncomfortable about since some devices support
a *lot* of formats. The disadvantage is that it is harder to get a quick
overview of all combinations for formats and modifiers.

This has more to do with limitations in the V4L2 API than with supporting
modifiers in general. We need something better to give userspace a quick
overview of all combinations of pixelformats, framesizes, frameintervals
and now modifiers. However, that's our problem :-)

Regards,

	Hans