DRM Format Modifiers in v4l2

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 30 08:10:01 UTC 2017

On 30/08/17 09:50, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:47:01AM +0100, Brian Starkey wrote:

>>> Note on the intel modifers: On most recent platforms (iirc gen9) the
>>> modifier is well defined and always describes the same byte layout. We
>>> simply didn't want to rewrite our entire software stack for all the
>>> old gunk platforms, hence the language. I guess we could/should
>>> describe the layout in detail, but atm we're the only ones using it.
>>>
>>> On your topic of v4l2 encoding the drm fourcc+modifier combo into a
>>> special v4l fourcc: That's exactly the mismatch I was thinking of.
>>> There's other examples of v4l2 fourcc being more specific than their
>>> drm counters (e.g. specific way the different planes are laid out).
>>
>> I'm not entirely clear on the v4l2 fourccs being more specific than
>> DRM ones - do you mean e.g. NV12 vs NV12M? Specifically in the case of
>> multi-planar formats I think it's a non-issue because modifiers are
>> allowed to alter the number of planes and the meanings of them. Also
>> V4L2 NV12M is a superset of NV12 - so NV12M would always be able to
>> describe a DRM NV12 buffer.
>>
>> I don't see the "special v4l2 format already exists" case as a problem
>> either. It would be up to any drivers that already have special
>> formats to decide if they want to also support it via a more generic
>> modifiers API or not.
>>
>> The fact is, adding special formats for each combination is
>> unmanageable - we're talking dozens in the case of our hardware.
>
> Hm right, we can just remap the special combos to the drm-fourcc +
> modifier style. Bonus point if v4l does that in the core so not everyone
> has to reinvent that wheel :-)

Probably not something we'll do: there are I believe only two drivers that
are affected (exynos & mediatek), so they can do that in their driver.

Question: how many modifiers will typically apply to a format? I ask
because I realized that V4L2 could use VIDIOC_ENUMFMT to make the link
between a fourcc and modifiers:

https://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/spec/uapi/v4l/vidioc-enum-fmt.html

The __u32 reserved[4] array can be used to provide a bitmask to modifier
indices (for the integer menu control). It's similar to what drm does,
except instead of modifiers mapping to fourccs it is the other way around.

This would avoid having to change the modifiers control whenever a new
format is set and it makes it easy to enumerate all combinations.

But this only works if the total number of modifiers used by a single driver
is expected to remain small (let's say no more than 64).

Regards,

	Hans