omapfb/dss: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in three functions

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 3 18:20:47 UTC 2017

> How many times have I told you to include the reason for your patches
> in your proposed commit message?

Will it be useful to look again at the involved circumstances?

> Too often.

Did I answer any concerns partly?

> Many people do not know that a generic kmalloc does a dump_stack() on OOM.

Do you see a need to represent such information better?

Is it expected that the function “devm_kzalloc” has got a similar property?

> That information should be part of the commit message.

How do you think about to share it also from any reference documentation
in a clearer way?

Do we stumble on a target conflict in this case?

I am generally trying to improve the software situation to some degree.
I prefer then to work with safe information sources.
Unfortunately, I might have not reached a desired confidence level here
for a more detailed commit message. I assume that software development
efforts could increase in significant ways if something should be improved
further in a direction I hope. But this could mean that time frames will
grow for corresponding clarifications.

* Does such a situation block progress on the deletion of other remaining
  questionable error messages?

* Would you like to increase the software development attention anyhow?

By the way:
It seems that my update suggestion for the directory “omapfb/dss”
could be superseded by the patch “omapfb: dss: Do not duplicate features data”
from Ladislav Michl.
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10082027/
https://lkml.kernel.org/r/<20171129123308.GA26578@lenoch>

Regards,