Enabling peer to peer device transactions for PCIe devices

Henrique Almeida hdante.lnls at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:08:22 UTC 2017

 Hello, I've been watching this thread not as a kernel developer, but
as an user interested in doing peer-to-peer access between network
card and GPU. I believe that merging raw direct access with vma
overcomplicates things for our use case. We'll have a very large
camera streaming data at high throughput (up to 100 Gbps) to the GPU,
which will operate in soft real time mode and write back the results
to a RDMA enabled network storage. The CPU will only arrange the
connection between GPU and network card. Having things like paging or
memory overcommit is possible, but they are not required and they
might consistently decrease the quality of the data acquisition.

 I see my use case something likely to exist for others and a strong
reason to split the implementation in two.