Why does OUT_FENCE_PTR point not to an fd (s32) but to an s64?

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Tue Jan 10 20:58:28 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel,

On Monday 09 Jan 2017 11:23:23 Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 01:04:55PM -0800, Chad Versace wrote:
> > Was this a mistake in the API? If so, can we fix this ABI mistake before
> > kernel consumers rely on this?
> >
> > I naïvely expected that OUT_FENCE_PTR would be a pointer to, obviously, a
> > fence fd (s32 __user *). But it's not. It's s64 __user *. Due to that
> > surprise, I spent several hours chasing down weird corruption in Rob
> > Clark's kmscube. The kernel unexpectedly cleared the 32 bits *above* an
> > `int kms_fence_fd` in userspace.
>
> Never use unsized types for uabi. I guess we could have used s32, but then
> someone is going to store this in a long and it goes boom on 64 bit,

Why so ? And why do we care ? The commonly accepted practice is to store file
descriptors in int variables. s32 is an int on all platforms, so that's fine
too. If we use a s32 pointer here, and someone decides to store it in a long,
bool or cast it to a complex, that's their problem :-)

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart