amdgpu: Corrupted video on 32 bit systems (possible fix)

Nils Holland nholland at tisys.org
Fri Jan 20 12:07:05 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 06:11:50PM +0900, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On 20/01/17 04:44 PM, Nils Holland wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea! I was a bit heasitant because, to be honest,
> > I'm not at all an expert about the code in question and basically only
> > saw how you fixed the issue in radeon and thought: "Well, let's see if
> > I can do the same thing in amdgpu and if so, if it helps there, too".
> > ;-)
> >
> > However, since you've said that a 32 bit fix in amdgpu generally seems
> > like a good idea,
>
> Actually, unless your CPU can't run 64-bit code, I'd say running a
> 64-bit kernel would be an overall even better idea for you, even with
> 32-bit userspace. :) Anyway, this problem clearly needs to be fixed.

Yep, that's certainly true! However, I have to admit that I'm
intentionally regularly testing all kinds of stuff on pure 32 bit,
because I think that most of the other "first like of testing", i.e.
the developers themselves, are primarily working with 64 bit these
days. So I thought it might make sense if someone keeps a little of an
eye on 32 bit - after all, in general and if there are no technical
reasons that speak agsinst it, things should work there, too. And
indeed, during the past year I've spotted a few little things that
were only causing problems on 32 bit - both in the kernel and other
components like systemd - and which could subsequently be fixed in a
relatively easy manner.

> > I would indeed use a little time on the weekend to get a proper patch
> > ready and submit it for review. Even if the "no wc for x86_32" part is
> > probably the only thing it'll contain
>
> I wouldn't bother with that. There is no real reason against bringing it
> all over in one go.

Right, I'll see what I can do over the weekend. So stay tuned for my
first ever proper (at least as far as the guidelines for submitting
patches are concerned) patch and expect the worst. ;-)

Greetings
Nils