RFC: drm-misc for small drivers?

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Fri Jan 27 06:32:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Sean Paul <seanpaul at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 06:08:42PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>> - Should it be an entire separate tree for soc drivers? Problem here
>> is that we lack a volunteer group (and imo it really should be a group
>> to avoid the single-maintainer troubles) to run that.
>
> Big +1. In addition to spreading out the workload, driver maintainers should
> still exercise ownership/stewardship.

Big +1 on separate driver tree, or that we'll probably can't get it
because no volunteers? For spreading out the workload, I don't expect
(or want) that this will cause more work for the existing drm-misc
group. Well, a few minutes more for the pull request summaries maybe,
but definitely no expectation that suddenly all of drm-misc helps out
with reviewing driver patches. That won't work.

>> - Who's elligible? I think we could start small with a few volunteers
>> and their drivers, and then anyone who's willing.
>
> I think we could safely volunteer some drivers we haven't seen pull requests
> from in a while.

Hm, I didn't think about drivers which aren't well-maintained. But if
there's a volunteer group we can do that ofc, but maybe not start out
with forcing it ...
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter