low mclock after some suspend cycles (was Re: Slower 3D with kernel 4.11.x)

Daniel Mota Leite daniel at motaleite.net
Mon Jul 10 04:27:25 UTC 2017

Hi again

> > OK, no powerplay messages that time. Was performance back to what you
> > expected ?
> Yes, performance on 4.10.12 is what i call normal

	I was bisect the 4.11 kernel when 4.12 was released, and guess
what? The problem is fixed in 4.12, i can get normal performance in
vulkan again... but not all is perfect...

	After the kernel update to 4.12 and also a firmware update from
the distro, i see no errors on the dmesg (probably the most of the errors
were firmware related?), but i found that after several suspend cycled,
the GPU is locked in the lowest mclck and even the sclck seems to be
harder to increase.

	As per radeon-profile, the performance is still auto and even
trying to switch to high or manual makes no difference, mclck is locked on
the lower value.

	So something in the suspend *sometimes* lock GPU the power profile
on a lower state.

	I also found that even after boot, and switching to manual, i
can't decrease the mclock, at least it by default on the highest
setting, but i may point to some problem switching the mclck.
sclck i can manually change, so no problem there.

Thanks for all the mesa and amdgpu work
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a