VT console blank ignored by DRM drivers on QEMU

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jul 10 14:56:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>> DPMS should be an error anyway, we want that to be able to properly
>> thread the acquire_ctx EDEADLK backoff stuff through that we need for
>> atomic. That would be the best long-term plan I think.
>
> So it implies the conversions of the whole legacy stuff?
> That'd be great but take a long way :)
>
>> But aside from that, can't we just teach these drivers to properly do
>> dpms? With the atomic framework dpms is implement as simply turning
>> the screen off, any driver should be able to support that properly.
>
> It seems that QEMU doesn't support it yet?  We'd need to implement it
> at first there.

I meant to say that adding an error code to the dpms callback seems
like a good idea, because we need that anyway. You can ignore the
blabla about why exactly atomic drivers need it, and ofc I'm not going
to suggest that you convert all your drivers over to atomic first.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation