Maintaining small drm drivers

Patrik Jakobsson patrik.r.jakobsson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 15:19:06 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

>>> I'm currently at a conference so I figured I'd ask around. So far,
>>> people are reluctant to get their hands dirty in a driver they've
>>> never looked at before and don't have hardware to test. From a
>>> community perspective, would you agree to require review by AMD for
>>> all Intel patches and vice versa (a slight exaggeration, I know)? I'd
>>> say that would cripple development of both drivers. There is as you
>>> say the a-b tag but I honestly doubt it's useful.
>>
>> Small driver = only 1 regular contributor. AMD and intel are anything
>> but small. And yes if I'd maintain a small driver I'd welcome to have
>> a regular exchange with other maintainers to make sure my driver is up
>> to date with drm best practices. Again gma500 is a bit special since
>> it's not moving anymore.
>
> To make it clearer what I meant to say: It's of course better if your
> reviewer has domain knowledge about your code, but if there's only 1
> regular contributor a bit of review is imo still good. As soon as
> there's a few regular contributors then a review sub-group in drm-misc
> forms (e.g. like what's happened with bridge drivers, and we
> documented that in MAINTAINERS).

Yes, a reviewer pool would be a good idea. Not just for drm-misc but
for patches on dri-devel in general. Handling of "unsorted" patches
with no direct maintainer can be improved.

Basically what I get from this is that we sacrifice some convenience
for small drivers on behalf of the bigger ones. I think that's fair
during the circumstances. Not optimal, but fair. I'll be using
drm-misc for smaller stuff and send larger series as p-r to Dave (with
r-b if I can get them). I think that makes most sense from a gma500
pov.

Cheers
Patrik