[RFC 0/1] drm: Add Grain Media GM12U320 kms driver

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 07:08:10 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 07-06-17 23:14, Noralf Trønnes wrote:

> Den 07.06.2017 22.19, skrev Noralf Trønnes:

>>> Thanks Noralf! That's exactly what I did and I'll test it soon. The
>>> parts that scare me the most are the calls to
>>> of_graph_get_next_endpoint, of_property_read_u32_array and of_node_put
>>> (in display.c, for example). I'm still not sure those will work.
>>
>> You don't need those since you don't have a panel nor those pads:
>> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/tree/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/arm,pl11x.txt
>>
>> The reason I pointed you to the PL111 driver is because it's very simple,
>> so it's easy to see how the simple pipeline works.
>> It uses CMA memory and if you can use that all is well, but if you need
>> to access the framebuffer from the cpu, it's not so good, because cma
>> memory has uncached reads.
>> The udl driver handles memory in a different way.
>>
>> I'm out of my depths here with memory and GEM and stuff.
>>

> I see that you access the framebuffer in gm12u320_copy_fb_to_blocks().
> That will be be very slow with CMA memory. I have worked around this in
> tinydrm by caching one line at a time to speed it up. I don't know if
> this will work for you. tinydrm displays are very small so the overhead
> isn't big compared to the transfer speed.
> See http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/ident/tinydrm_swab16
>
> Maybe you can cache one cacheline size at a time? After all, you have to
> pull it through the cpu cache. But as I said, memory isn't my expertise.
>
> It greatly simplifies your driver if you can use the cma library though.
> If so, maybe you even can use tinydrm with a connector of your own. You
> can just make your own version of tinydrm_display_pipe_init().

I don't think that using cma for the gm12u320 is a good idea, it will
typically be used as a secondary GPU output together with a real GPU
extending the desktop by being a prime display output. So for the memory
management stuff I would keep the code copied from the udl driver (which
we may later split out in a separate helper lib for devices where
the framebuffer is in normal system memory and we have some scather-gather
capable process copying it to the real device over e.g. USB)

Regards,

Hans