[RFC 0/1] drm: Add Grain Media GM12U320 kms driver

Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita marcodiegomesquita at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 17:14:22 UTC 2017

Hi Devs!

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Noralf Trønnes <noralf at tronnes.org> wrote:

> Den 09.06.2017 22.59, skrev Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
>>
>> Hi Devs!
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:08 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think that using cma for the gm12u320 is a good idea, it will
>>> typically be used as a secondary GPU output together with a real GPU
>>> extending the desktop by being a prime display output. So for the memory
>>> management stuff I would keep the code copied from the udl driver (which
>>> we may later split out in a separate helper lib for devices where
>>> the framebuffer is in normal system memory and we have some
>>> scather-gather
>>> capable process copying it to the real device over e.g. USB)
>>>
>> I got the PL111 driver and stripped all device specific code. Also, I
>> added the get_modes and driver usb probe functions from gm12u320. The
>> resulting code is available in
>> https://gitlab.com/marcodiego/dummy-display-driver .
>>
>> The driver compiles, loads, identifies the device when I plug it,
>> /dev/fb1 is created adequately but it stops there. Gnome monitors tool
>> does not see it as a new monitor. What I expected was that it would be
>> seen as a new monitor and that I could even activate it. Instead,
>> syslog complains: "Cannot find any crtc or sizes".
>>
>> Anyway, I think this is a first step. My first doubt: where should I
>> go from now? What should I change in the driver so that gnome monitors
>> tool sees it as a new monitor and I could activate it, even if it
>> works as a mere dummy device?
>>
>> Second doubt is: is this really the simplest/best way? I mean, the
>> repaper driver that Emil pointed seems a lot simpler, wouldn't it be
>> better to mimic it? How complicated is it to modify the repaper driver
>> to build a dummy driver?
>>
>> By dummy driver, I mean something that gnome monitors tools can
>> identify as a new monitor and I can activate it. I hope to reach a
>> point where the update or dirty callback is called. From that point on
>> it is just a matter of sending the framebuffer through USB the way
>> gm12u320 does currently.
>

> I guess you have forgotten to replace connector detect, because I
> didn't see you use drm_panel in your RFC.
> (gm12u320_connector->panel is NULL afaict, so it's always disconnected)
>
> static enum drm_connector_status gm12u320_connector_detect(struct
> drm_connector
>                             *connector, bool force)
> {
> -    struct gm12u320_drm_connector *gm12u320_connector =
> -        to_gm12u320_connector(connector);
> -
> -    return (gm12u320_connector->panel ?
> -        connector_status_connected :
> -        connector_status_disconnected);
> +    if (drm_device_is_unplugged(connector->dev))
> +        return connector_status_disconnected;
> +
> +    return connector_status_connected;
> }

I applied this change and now gnome monitors tool identifies it as
another monitor, thanks Noralf! There are still some problems: when I
activate it, gnome complains "could not set configuration for CRTC
284". I still don't know what causes this. Any idea?

Other problem I get is that the device is spontaneously disconnected
after some time. I'm not sure what causes this, but I think it happens
because it receives no data after an amount of time. On the udl-based
driver, a workqueue is used to periodically send some data to the
device. Is there any problem using the same approach here? I mean,
won't using a workqueue to periodically send some data to the device
bring any conflict? If not, I'll start porting the code related to the
workqueue from the udl-based driver to the pl111-based driver.

That will probably improve the behavior of the device. Once I get it
behaving properly, my next step will be to finally try to update the
framebuffer of the device and get it to show something.

Does this approach seem sound?