[GIT PULL] arm/hdlcd fixes for v4.13

Liviu Dudau Liviu.Dudau at arm.com
Tue Jun 20 09:15:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:34:05AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Liviu Dudau <Liviu.Dudau at arm.com> wrote:

> >> This pull had a patch that wasn't in the request, and also I get
> >> warnings with it.
> >
> > There is a patch on the tip of that branch but it was not intended to
> > be included in the pull request. The request had the start commit id
> > b2ae06ae9834b10ef338fbf17 ("drm/arm: hdlcd: Use CMA helper for plane
> > buffer address calculation") which is one out of two patches that I
> > need to be pulled. Should I drop the af8ae06b51031c80960ccc17 ("drm:
> > hdlcd: Update PM code to save/restore console.") from the branch
> > before sending another pull request?
> >
> > Thanks for helping me out with the process, I'm not too sure what the
> > right thing to do is here!
>
> Use git tags instead of branches to avoid such confusion. With
> branches you must not push more patches onto the branch until Dave
> pulled it. tags are invariant, so make this all a lot easier. Plus
> bonus: annotated tags can contain the pull request summary and git
> pull automatically inserts it all into the merge commit, making Dave's
> life even easier. Shameless plug: the dim scripts we use for
> drm-intel|misc.git has this all implemented, including neat templates

Thanks for explaining it, Daniel!

Background story here: I did not intend to update the branch until Dave
pulled it and initially I wanted to send all 3 patches for v4.13, until
Noralf pointed out that top commit could be improved. I thought just
dropping that commit from the pull request is a simple matter of not
mentioning it in the request, but I can see how it can be confusing.

I'll drop the top commit from the branch and also tag the commit I
want to be the tip of the pull.

Best regards,
Liviu

--