connector/edid probing races

Sean Paul seanpaul at chromium.org
Fri Mar 10 16:01:54 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 02:12:14PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Talk to Jonas (jadahl) on irc, he had 3 mutters running and on hotplug
> all 3 of them were diving into the connector getting code. Now I think
> we can avoid this in userspace by not probing when not owning the VT,
> but it's still messy behaviour.
>
> It looks like one thread does a getconnector, this fills out the EDID
> blob with a specific blob id,
> then second thread does getconnector, which replaces the EDID blob
> with another one
> the first thread calls get property blob, but the blob id it is
> looking for is destroyed.
>
> Ideas?

I think you could probably fix this by introducing a new
drm_property_overwrite_global_blob() function. If the size of the current blob is
the same as the new blob, you could just overwrite the data and preserve the id
and references. You could then replace the drm_property_replace_global_blob() call in
drm_mode_connector_update_edid_property() to call the new function. Of course,
you would need to fall back on *replace_global_blob() if size differed, but it
would probably solve the issue above.

That said, I'm not convinced it should be kernel's responsibility to really
solve this problem. How much effort should we put into mitigating the effects of
a racey and wasteful userspace?

Sean

> Dave.

Sean Paul, Software Engineer, Google / Chromium OS