DRM Atomic property for color-space conversion

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Thu Mar 16 14:30:59 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 04:20:29PM +0200, Sharma, Shashank wrote:
> Regards
>
> Shashank
>

> On 3/16/2017 4:07 PM, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

> >> OK, using the same ones sounds sensible.

> >> Agreed, left-to-right. But for instance on a CSC property representing
> >> a CRTC output CSC (just before hitting the connector), which happens
> >> to be converting RGB to YCbCr:
> >>
> >> CRTC -> GAMMA -> RGB_TO_YCBCR_CSC
> >>
> >> ...the enum value "BT.601 Limited" means that the data on the *right*
> >> of RGB_TO_YCBCR_CSC is "BT.601 Limited"
> >>
> >> On the other hand for a CSC on the input of a plane, which happens to
> >> be converting YCbCr to RGB:
> >>
> >> RAM -> YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC -> DEGAMMA
> >>
> >> ...the enum value "BT.601 Limited" means that the data on the *left*
> >> of YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC is "BT.601 Limited".
> >>
> >> Indicating in the property name whether its value is describing the
> >> data on the left or the right is needed (and I don't think inferring
> >> that "it's always the YCBCR one" is the correct approach).
> >>
> >> In my example above, "SOURCE_xxx" would mean the enum value is
> >> describing the "source" data (i.e. the data on the left) and
> >> "SINK_xxx" would mean the enum value is describing the "sink" data
> >> (i.e. the data on the right). This doesn't necessarily need to infer a
> >> particular point in the pipeline.
> > Right, so I guess you want the values to be named "<a> to <b>" as well?
> > Yes, I think we'll be wanting that as well.
> >
> > So what we might need is something like:
> > enum YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC
> >   * YCbCr BT.601 limited to RGB BT.709 full
> >   * YCbCr BT.709 limited to RGB BT.709 full <this would be the likely default value IMO>
> >   * YCbCr BT.601 limited to RGB BT.2020 full
> >   * YCbCr BT.709 limited to RGB BT.2020 full
> >   * YCbCr BT.2020 limited to RGB BT.2020 full
> >
> > And thanks to BT.2020 we'll need a RGB->RGB CSC property as well. Eg:
> > enum RGB_TO_RGB_CSC
> >   * bypass (or separate 709->709, 2020->2020?) <this would be the default>
> >   * RGB BT.709 full to RGB BT.2020 full
> >
> > Alternatives would involve two properties to define the input and output
> > from the CSC separately, but then you lose the capability to see which
> > combinations are actually supoorted.
> I was thinking about this too, or would it make more sense to create two
> properties:
> - one for gamut mapping (cases like RGB709->RGB2020)
> - other one for Color space conversion (cases lile YUV 709 -> RGB 709)
>
> Gamut mapping can represent any of the fix function mapping, wereas CSC
> can bring up any programmable matrix
>
> Internally these properties can use the same HW unit or even same function.
> Does it sound any good ?

It's certainly possible. One problem is that we can't inform userspace
upfront which combinations are supported. Whether that's a real problem
I'm not sure. With atomic userspace can of course check upfront if
something can be done or not, but the main problem is then coming up
with a fallback strategy that doesn't suck too badly.

Anyways, I don't think I have any strong favorites here. Would be nice
to hear what everyone else thinks.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC