[RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Fri Mar 17 04:15:43 UTC 2017

Quoting Marek Olšák (2017-03-16 18:53:59)
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:11 AM, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Marek Olšák (2017-03-16 15:36:26)
> >> Is there a way not to use ninja with meson, because ninja redirects
> >> all stderr output from gcc to stdout, which breaks many development
> >> environments that expect errors in stderr?
> >>
> >> I'm basically saying that if ninja can't keep gcc errors in stderr, I
> >> wouldn't like any project that I might be involved in to require ninja
> >> for building.
> >>
> >> Marek
> >
> > There is no way to use another backend on Linux, and meson will not support
> > Make. Ninja is a big part of the appeal here, since it is faster than make is.
> > Are there particular tools you know don't work with ninja? It seems like in the
> > 7+ years since ninja came out that someone would have fixed the tools, or that
> > some stream redirection could be used to fix the problem, "ninja 1>&2"?
>
> I actually read some thread about it and the conclusion seemed to be
> that ninja developers don't care. I have no other option than to
> believe that ninja was made for automated build bots, not for
> development.
>
> Some editors expect that errors and only errors go to stderr and all
> other garbage info goes to stdout. This is something I can't change.
>
> Marek

And I found this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ninja-build/4syh2jzXWcI

Which leads me to believe that they would be responsive to a patch, the core
team just doesn't have a use for it. There is in fact a patch already written
(linked in that thread), that just needs someone to clean it up and propose it
for merge.

Dylan