[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 13:55:31 UTC 2017

Seems like we ended up all over the place, so let me try afresh.

Above all:
 - Saying "I don't care" about your users is arrogant - let us _not_
do that, please ?
Even Linux distribution maintainers have responded that "upstream does
not care us", which is indicative that we should be more careful what
we say.

For the rest - we're dealing with two orthogonal issues here:

* Multiple build systems
I believe we'll all agree that I might be the person who's been in all
the build systems the most.
Yes I _would_ _love_ to drop it all but we simply _cannot_ do that yet:
 - [currently] there is no viable solution for Android
 - dropping the Autotools will lead to OpenBSD and NetBSD having to
write one from scratch, IIRC Solaris/FreeBSD and others are in similar
boat.
These projects have been getting closer to upstream and "forcing" the
extra obstacle is effectively giving them the middle finger.

* Slow build times
Before we jump into "the next cool thing", let us properly utilise
what we have at the moment.
 - I've asked multiple times about numbers behind those "let's make
the build faster" patches, but never got any :-\
 - I can improve things but would need access to a fancy XX core
system to do rudimentary benchmarks/checks and test patches.

Thanks
Emil