GEM allocation for para-virtualized DRM driver

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:52:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Oleksandr Andrushchenko
<andr2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/20/2017 08:17 PM, Rob Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Oleksandr Andrushchenko
>> <andr2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> indeed, good catch

>>> yes, I have already learned that modetest only renders once and
>>> then just flips

>>> Do you think there could be DMA related problems with
>>> the buffer allocated with drm_gem_get_pages and DMA mapping,
>>> use? So GPU is not able to handle those?
>>>
>>> The only source of knowledge at the moment I have is
>>> publicly available pvrsrvkm kernel module. But there are
>>> other unknowns, e.g. user-space libraries, firmware which
>>> are in binary form: thus kernel driver is mostly a bridge
>>> between FW and libs. That being said, do you think I have to get
>>> deeper into GPU use-case or should I switch back to alloc_pages+
>>> remap_pfn_range? ;)
>>
>> so, I suppose with pvr there is a whole host of potential pain... *but*..
>>
>> if alloc_pages path actually works, then perhaps the issue is the
>> deferred allocation.  Ie. most drivers don't drm_gem_get_pages() until
>> the buffer is passed to hw or until it is faulted in.  You should make
>> sure it ends up getting called (if it hasn't been called already)
>> somewhere in gem_prime_pin.
>
> I call drm_gem_get_pages as part of dumb creation, because I
> need to pass the pages to the host OS. So, probably, this is not
> because of the late allocation, but something else

hmm, well all the pvr gpu's that I've had to deal with in the past
have MMUs, so there shouldn't be any specific issue with where the
pages come from.  But I guess you have to poke around the kernel
module to see where things go wrong with dmabuf import (or if it even
gets that far)

BR,
-R