[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Colin Cross ccross at android.com
Thu Mar 23 22:14:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Greg Hackmann <ghackmann at google.com> wrote:
> On 03/22/2017 02:48 PM, Rob Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Quoting Rob Clark (2017-03-22 10:07:54)

>>> Jason and I have talked about that too. I'd suggested that we could write
>>> module for meson to read makefile.sources (since we're surely not the
>>> only
>>> project that would benefit from such a module), except that android is
>>> moving to
>>> blueprint[1] instead of android.mk files. As far as I can tell blueprint
>>> doesn't
>>> support using makefile.sources, so it seems somewhat moot in a world of
>>> blueprint for android, meson for *.
>>

>> I guess even if it is only a temporary thing, something that could
>> slurp in Makefile.sources seems like it would be useful for a
>> transition period.
>>
>> I'm not totally up to speed on android/blueprint stuff.. but even some
>> simplified or different "here-are-my-sources" type file that could be
>> shared across build systems would be useful.  Meson sounds a bit more
>> extensible so maybe there is some potential to adapt to whatever
>> android forces on us ;-)
>

> +ccross from the Android build team can hopefully provide some input here.

For cases like this, we generally add a python script that translates
the build files into something Blueprint understands, and rerun it
each time we import into the project.

Alternatively, Blueprint efficiently supports globbing for sources, so
if all the source files are always listed in Makefile.sources (which
seems to be true in our copy of libdrm except for intel/test_decode.c)
then we could use globs and ignore the makefiles, possibly manually
excluding a few files.