[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

randyf at sibernet.com randyf at sibernet.com
Fri Mar 24 16:58:18 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Matt Turner wrote:

>>  - dropping the Autotools will lead to OpenBSD and NetBSD having to
>> write one from scratch, IIRC Solaris/FreeBSD and others are in similar
>> boat.
>
> Solaris is a closed source operating system whose developers do not
> contribute to the project. We do not need to base our decisions on
> them.

   For the parts that are relevant to this discussion, this isn't true.
Yes, the core OS is closed (Oracle Solaris, not the OpenSolaris
derivative), but the entire graphics stack, including kernel graphics
drivers are available on java.net and/or github.

   That developers haven't been contributing is primarily due to a
significant amount of work required on a small set of developers in an
attempt to just catch up, but they are listening.  What a migration to
new build system would mean is another item in the list requiring more
catch-up.

   That said (and I hope I don't get into too hot water), I don't think it
would be an extremely difficult task for Solaris to migrate; just would
require resources.

   Cheers!

 	---- Randy