[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Fri Mar 24 21:16:13 UTC 2017

On 24/03/17 20:08, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:

>>> I agree, adding a meson build system should aim to phase out one of
>>> the other build systems within one or two release cycles. But (and
>>> maybe that was Robs point) that doesn't have be autotools. What if we
>>> phase out scons? It doesn't seem like anybody is really attached to it
>>> and if meson is as good as scons on windows, then if nothing else
>>> happens we end up with the same number of build systems. What's more
>>> likely to happen is that a lot of Linux developers (and CI systems)
>>> will also start using meson, which means that life gets easier for
>>> vmware wrt maintaining the build system, and easier for all developers
>>> who have spent to much of their life waiting for autogen.sh.  Then
>>> decommissioning autotools can be a separate topic as Rob suggests,
>>> something we'll do when the world is ready.
>>

>> There's zero overlap between SCons build users and Meson experience, so I
>> don't see how that would work.  Who would lead the charge?
>
> It sounds like Dylan and the Intel team are interested in doing the
> meson work. If that's the case, then perhaps you (or other SCons
> users) would be willing to evaluate the result and see if it meets
> your requirements for a SCons replacement?
>
> Kristian

Evaluating is one thing.  Actually migrating is another.

Brian already said he'd take a look and evaluate.  And I'll help in what
I can.  I agree we should all evaluate early.

But I don't think that the proposal of first migrate scons to meson,
then in a second separate step migrate autotools to meson, is viable.
Like I said: there's no knowledge overlap.  The two group of people --
the Meson and Windows experts -- will be chasing each other tails.  And
all that while, the build will continue to be broken or diverge because
master dev will go on.

Jose