[Intel-gfx] drm] Atomic update on pipe (A) took 119 us, max time under evasion is 100 us

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Thu May 4 17:42:14 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 09:26:09AM -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running current -git on my laptop (20FB, X1 Carbon gen4, skylake), I get
> a lot of the below warnings. Things seem to work fine (in fact it seems
> faster in general use than previously), but it's a lot of warning spew.
>
> [  764.877978] [drm] Atomic update on pipe (A) took 156 us, max time under evasion is 100 us

I tried to optimize this a bit recently but indeed it's stil known to be too
slow. Looks like all of that stuff did land in Linus's tree already,
so presumably you have it all already.

I did have some further ideas that should help but I got sidetracked by
other things before I managed to finish the work. I guess I'll need to get
back on that horse and try to finish what I started.

In the meantime, maybe we should just silence this error spew again
until we're more confident about meeting the deadlines. Maarten?

Do you have lockdep enabled BTW? Based on what I've seen lockdep does
seem be a major contributor to slowness here.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC