Proposal for RandR version 1.6, Leases and EDID-based output grabs

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed May 10 00:29:41 UTC 2017

> Just please make sure that one (user configurable/opt-in if necessary)
> policy from the beginning is to allow leasing out any output to
> applications, not just HMDs. My type of scientific/medical applications
> would benefit as soon as it has the option to get a drm lease for a given
> output on both X and Wayland based systems. That's not a theoretical future
> use case, but one i'd try to offer to my users as soon as a stable
> protocol/implementation is available in a regular Linux distribution. It
> wouldn't be fun for inexperienced users if they had to hack the database for
> every model of display they want to use, or if every untrusted user would
> have to have a root password to do so.

I think we need to restrict what outputs can be leased, but I might
just be paranoid,
maybe the is no security problem with having an app accessing an exclusive mode,
just makes me think of screensaver bypasses or something.

Do your apps need input? because if we lease out you won't be getting any input
from X and won't be able to open the input devices X has open.

VR is special since the input devices are all their own thing.

Dave.