[RFC] drm: add unref_fb ioctl

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed May 10 06:27:45 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Disadvantages:
>>   * depending on userspace architecture, layers left on screen could
>>     be considered an information leak, ie. new incoming master process
>>     has access to buffers that are still being scanned out.
>
> I'm not sure this is much of a problem really, or at least I suspect
> we have bigger issues: the GETFB ioctl allows you to get at the gem bo
> behind any framebuffer, as long as you're the current master. There's
> no need for that framebuffer to be active on the screen. Not sure
> that's a good idea really, we might want to fix up that ioctl to only
> hand out the backing storage objects for currently active objects. But
> kinda separate issue.
>
> Other

Oops, hit send too early: Otherwise looks good. Well, you can forgo
the kernel-doc (just leave a comment if you want to explain the
difference), since in drm core only the driver interface stuff is
documented with kernel-doc. At least that's what I've been doing.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation