[Advice Needed] splash on i.MX IPU

Stephan Bauroth der_steffi at gmx.de
Fri Nov 3 11:26:15 UTC 2017

Dear dri-devel, spec. Dear i.MX folks,

I would like to display a splash screen on an i.MX6 based board from the
kernel as soon as the display hardware is initialized. But I'm having
trouble finding some kind of 'take this buffer and display it' function
within the IPU driver. (And I see no way of specifying such thing within
the device tree)

I tried to trace a userspace write to /dev/fb0 to see where it ends up,
but didn't succeed in finding the right entry point. I am aware of the
fact that the bootloader typically displays a splash and linux then
doesn't touch it, but this solution is not feasible for me, mostly
because it would include duplicating the functionality of a display
driver when the kernel offers a working one.

Has anybody built a splash from the kernel before? Or can anyone give me
a few pointers where to look for a start within the driver? Any help is
appreciated.

regards,
Stephan