drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/lvds-encoder.c broken in mainline

Archit Taneja architt at codeaurora.org
Tue Nov 14 03:43:11 UTC 2017

On 11/14/2017 02:33 AM, Eric Anholt wrote:
> Lothar Waßmann <LW at KARO-electronics.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,

>>> I can't see any behavior change about the DT handling in that commit,
>>> and I didn't intend for there to be any.  Could you help me understand
>>> what went wrong?
>>>
>> With the offending commit applied, the lvds-encoder driver is being
>> attached to the device associated with the lcd-panel driver's of_node
>> (panel-simple in my case) rather than the lvds-encoder's of_node.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on best handling this?  Slip another bridge in
> attached to this of_node that chains to panel-bridge's bridge, or just
> have a panel-bridge entrypoint for what node to register the bridge on?

I think slipping in another bridge seems to make more sense. When we converted
to panel-bridge, we didn't create a bridge entity for the lvds-encoder itself,
we just created the panel-bridge's bridge, which anyway is more a glue-layer
for drm_panel than a real bridge entity.

Thanks,
Archit

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project