etnaviv: PHYS_OFFSET usage

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Wed Nov 15 17:56:20 UTC 2017

Am Mittwoch, den 15.11.2017, 17:36 +0000 schrieb Alexey Brodkin:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> On Wed, 2017-11-15 at 17:44 +0100, Lucas Stach wrote:
> > Hi Alexey,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, den 15.11.2017, 16:24 +0000 schrieb Alexey Brodkin:
> > >
> > > Hi Lucas,
> > >
> > > As we discussed on ELCE last month in Prague we have Vivante GPU
> > > built-in our new ARC HSDK development board.
> > >
> > > And even though [thanks to your suggestions] I got Etnaviv driver
> > > working perfectly fine on our board I faced one quite a tricky
> > > situation [which I dirty worked-around for now].
> > >
> > > Etnaviv driver uses some PHYS_OFFSET define which is not very
> > > usual across all architectures and platforms supported by Linux kernel.
> > >
> > > In fact for ARC we don't have PHYS_OFFSET defined [yet].
> > > And I'm wondering how to get this resolved.
> > >
> > > Essentially we have 2 options:
> > >  1. Define PHYS_OFFSET for ARC (and later for other arches once needed)
> > >  2. Replace PHYS_OFFSET with something else in etnaviv sources.
> > >
> > > Even though (1) seems to be the simplest solution is doesn't look very nice
> > > because it seems to be quite ARM-specific but not something really generic
> > > and portable.
> > >
> > > As for (2) frankly I din't quite understand why do we really care about
> > > DDR start offset in the GPU driver. If some more light could be shed on this
> > > topic probably we'll figure out what would be more elegant solution.
> >
> > Basically the GPU has a linear address window which is 2GB in size and
> > all GPU command buffers must be mapped through this window. The window
> > has a base offset, so we can move it to point to different locations in
> > the physical address space of the system.
>
> Wow, what a design decision :)
>
> > Etnaviv uses the PHYS_OFFSET to find out where in the physical address
> > space the RAM starts. If the start of RAM is above the 2GB mark we
> > _must_ use the linear window in order to make the command buffers
> > available to the GPU.
>
> Well that looks not super safe and versatile solution to me.
> What if used RAM is much more than 2Gb? I guess in that case it's
> possible to to set PHYS_OFFSET to say 0 and then kernel might allocate
> command buffer above 2Gb which will make that buffer not visible for
> GPU I guess.

GPU command buffer allocations is done through the dma_alloc_*
function, which will respect the GPU requirements.

Also the linear window is not normally moved to the start of RAM but to
the system CMA region, see below.

> > I'm not aware of any other kernel API that would allow us to find the
> > start of RAM. If there is I would be happy to replace the PHYS_OFFSET
> > stuff. If you don't like to copy the PHYS_OFFSET stuff to ARC, you
> > would need to introduce some new API, which allows us to retrieve this
> > information.
>
> I'd say we may use so-called "reserved memory" here as a nice an elegant solution.
> In device tree we describe this memory area like this:
> ------------------------------>8---------------------------
> > 	gpu_3d: gpu at 90000 {
> > 		compatible = "vivante,gc";
> > 		reg = <0x90000 0x4000>;
> > 		interrupts = <28>;
> > 		memory-region = <&gpu_memory>;
> 	};
>
> 	reserved-memory {
> > 		#address-cells = <2>;
> > 		#size-cells = <2>;
> > 		ranges;
> > > 		gpu_memory: gpu_memory at be000000 {
> > 			compatible = "shared-dma-pool";
> > 			reg = <0xbe000000 0x2000000>;
> > 			no-map;
> > 		};
> 	};
> ------------------------------>8---------------------------
>
> And then in the driver code we just need to do 2 things:
>  1) Start using this memory for allocations in the driver
>     with help of of_reserved_mem_device_init()
>  2) Get the region start. Not sure what's the best way to do it
>     but I guess we'll be able to get "reg" property of the "gpu_memory"
>     node in the worst case. And then use that base instead of PHYS_OFFSET.
>
> If of any interest I'll be willing to send you an RFC shortly so you
> may see real implementation in details.

I'm not keen on having a private memory region for the GPU. Normally we
just use the shared system CMA memory region (and we will point the
linear memory window there on MC2.0 GPUs), which has the added benefit
that we can map the contiguous framebuffers allocated by another device
through the linear window, which is a crucial performance optimization
for the MMUv1 GPUs.

The only time where we really need to know the start of RAM is on MC1.0
GPUs which have a hardware bug in the TS unit, so we try to avoid
moving the linear window at all to work around that. In that case the
PHYS_OFFSET check is really there to avoid the situation where the
linear window would not allow any RAM to be reached at all. Then we
need to move the window, but disable any TS functionality, impacting
performance a lot.

As MC1.0 GPUs are hopefully on the way out with new designs using MC2.0
this shouldn't be much of a problem going forward. Maybe we can even
simply solve this issue by just dropping the check if PHYS_OFFSET isn't
defined. At least I hope VeriSilicon didn't sell you a MC1.0 part at
this time...

Regards,
Lucas