cross-domain Wayland (Re: passing FDs across domains)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu.vizoso at collabora.com
Mon Nov 27 11:59:23 UTC 2017

On 11/27/2017 11:59 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 09:17:02AM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>>
>>> By the way, what is the status of virtio-wayland
>>
>> I can say that by following the instructions in
>> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform/crosvm/, I was able to
>> get a simple SHM client presented in the host (with gnome-shell).
>>
>> But I had to change the SHM allocation to call VIRTWL_IOCTL_NEW_ALLOC
>> instead of shm_open or its equivalent.
>>
>> Zach (on CC) will be able to give a more informed answer.
>>
>>> and how does this
>>> discussion relate to virtio-wayland?
>>> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform/crosvm/+/master/devices/src/virtio/wl.rs
>>
>> I'm working on getting the equivalent functionality into mainline.
>
> Why not mainline virtio-wayland?

Because I can see no reason to have Wayland-specific code in the kernel.
Everything that virtio-wayland does is needed by other presentation
protocols such as X.

We could have virtio-graphics-presentation I guess, but virtio-gpu
already deals with sharing graphics buffers between guest and host, so
we would be duplicating concerns.

Regards,

Tomeu