[Mesa-dev] Upstream support for FreeSync / Adaptive Sync

Manasi Navare manasi.d.navare at intel.com
Thu Oct 19 00:17:02 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 03:20:57PM -0400, Harry Wentland wrote:
> On 2017-10-18 04:10 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> >> These are very good points. It does sound like we'd need both an
> >> "AdaptiveSync" boolean property and an (optional) "DesiredPresentTime"
> >> property.
> >>
> >> The DesiredPresentTime property applies only to a single commit and could
> >> perhaps be left out in a first version. The AdaptiveSync property is
> >> persistent. When enabled, it means:
> >>
> >> - handle page flip requests as soon as possible
> >> - while no page flip is requested, delay vblank as long as possible
> >>
> >> How does that sound?

Thanks for initiating this discussion. I had some initial patches of creating these
properties in DRM for Adaptive Sync but never got a chance to complete the testing and
submitting them upstream.
So the initial thought was to add two properties:

1. bool enable_adaptive_sync - one for allowing userspace to
enable VRR and
2. bool supports_adaptive_sync - the other immutable property for exposing
hardware's capability of supporting VRR.

The second property will be set based on the VRR capabilities of the connected
monitor. If this is set, userspace can request to enable adaptive-sync by setting
the first property and through the atomic modeset, the driver will check if the
requested frame rate falls within the monitor range and enable it.

I have some prototype patches as well...But I would like to see where this
discussion heads and then submit those some day.

Manasi

Manasi