[RFC resend] arm64: mt8173: Fix Acer Chromebooks mmsys probe problem

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Oct 23 10:23:27 UTC 2017

Hi Philipp,

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 17:54:16 EEST Philipp Zabel wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-10-19 at 16:39 +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> The reason why the drm driver matches against the mmsys node in the
> >> first place is that we wanted to avoid 2).
> >
> > Why did you want to avoid 2) ?
>
> Because the "display-subsystem" node does not represent a real device,
> it's just there to probe the driver that stitches all the DISP components
> together.

I'm not a big supported of such DT nodes for "logical" devices either. When
possible I prefer describing the relationship between display IP cores using
OF graph DT bindings.

In some cases (and I don't know if the Mediatek display is one of them) there
is no single IP core that can be considered as a master from a display point
of view. This is inconvenient for device drivers as there's no clear place for
an entry point. I could thus be convinced to accept DT bindings for a logical
display DT node when there's really no other good choice.

> >> Also, mmsys is not a pure clock controller, as it also contains the
> >> display path configuration in its register space.
> >
> > Which makes the mmsys related to display, but more in a syscon (combining
> > clocks and routing, and I assume other miscellaneous features that
> > wouldn't fit nicely in the other display-related IP cores) way than
> > actually being part of the display subsystem. Or does mmsys only provide
> > display-related features ?
>
> All devices in the 0x14000000 - 0x14ffffff memory range are part of the
> MMSYS system. That includes the MMSYS control or system configuration
> block at 0x14000000 - 0x14000fff as well as all the related MDP (media
> data path) and DISP (display data path) blocks that follow. The DISP
> blocks are purely display related, while the MDP blocks implement
> implement mem2mem functions like scaling and conversion.

Without more information about the hardware it's hard to tell whether the DT
nodes for the DISP and MDP IP cores should be children of the MMSYS DT node or
not. In any case, it looks like the MMSYS is a syscon that provides
miscellaneous functions not fitting anywhere else.

On simple solution, which shouldn't require DT changes, would be to merge the
MMSYS clock driver into the mediatek DRM driver, and register the MMSYS clocks
at probe time instead of using CLK_OF_DECLARE.

Another option would be to handle MMSYS as an MFD. That shouldn't require DT
changes either.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart