drm_hwcomposer moving to fd.o

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu.vizoso at collabora.com
Thu Sep 28 07:35:11 UTC 2017

On 09/28/2017 09:08 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

>>> amdgpu does not (but will once DC has landed, at least when you enable
>>> DC). Radeon doesn't, and likely never will. Nouveau is atomic only for
>>> nv50+.
>>
>> Thank you for the clarification.
>>
>> I have made test with kernel 4.13 +
>> gbm_grallc + drm_hwcomposer + mesa 17.1
>> on Android-x86 7.1.
>> Except virgl all others just failed as expected.
>>
>> i915 (i965) was tested in Intel Broxton.
>> It's the best result. SurfaceFlinger runs and
>> bootanimation is shown. However, after boot
>> complete it only shown systemui + navbar with
>> black background. No app icons or mouse cursor
>> in the desktop. I guess the composition of 3+
>> layers has some problems.
>
> Could be a bug in either drm_hwcomposer making assumptions that don't
> hold, or i915 for implementing stuff wrongly. Would need someone to
> debug. Given that we have products shipping on bxt using atomic (CrOS)
> I'm leaining towards drm_hwcomposer making bad assumptions.

An easy way of making sure that the problem is with compositing with
overlays is applying this hack:

https://git.collabora.com/cgit/user/tomeu/drm_hwcomposer.git/commit/?h=android-etnaviv&id=dbe21cb52f602eef11bf5ac083691e5b2b0a35ba

It should also allow you to move on and test more stuff.

>> vmwgfx also has issues on drm_hwcomposer
>> initialization. SurfaceFlinger didn't crashes but
>> no bootanimation. It seems just blocked.

If you want to test another driver in qemu, you can test Varad's patches
in https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/29006/ for atomic updates in
the Cirrus driver.

Regards,

Tomeu