[git pull] drm for v4.17-rc1

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Tue Apr 3 13:23:31 UTC 2018

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018, Lucas Stach <dev at lynxeye.de> wrote:
> To be honest I don't understand why you are trying to enforce your
> model on everyone. Maybe the drm-misc thing has solved some problems
> for you, but I just don't see the point why others who seem to have
> something that works for them should switch to something different.
>
> Especially the AMD driver seems to work quite well the way it is
> handled by those guys.

I fully agree people need to decide for themselves what kind of
maintainership models suit them best. I'll only urge you to look into
the alternatives. If something works for you, it doesn't mean something
else couldn't work for you better. I'll leave it at that.

> I could also do a better job in drumming up reviews for Etnaviv, but it
> simply doesn't buy me anything. "Forced" review just to get the tags
> attached is almost worthless, as people tend to do it in a hurry, so it
>  doesn't really catch the subtle issues. I would rather be honest about
> something not having seen much review than have worthless review tags
> attached to my patches.

Again, I think as maintainer you should be free to do what you think
suits you and your contributors best. That said, I sincerely think
you're misguided about the value of review.

> My _feeling_ is that the review economy in drm-misc, which gets DRM the
> bragging rights of 80% reviewed patches, has already lowered the weight
> associated with those reviews, as most of them are really shallow. This
> might be okay with you and I'm certainly not trying to change the way
> drm-misc is handled, but I doubt that this is the universal gold
> standard which should be applied to everything.

I think you need to substantiate your claims about rubber stamping
reviews. I'm not seeing that. And I do pay attention to the reviews that
happen on i915 and drm display parts, kind of review-of-review. I'm
personally pretty diligent about review, and I'm honestly *more* ashamed
of patches I reviewed regressing than patches I wrote. Looking around, I
don't think I'm alone.

BR,
Jani.