[Patch v2 3/6] dt-bindings: display/ti: Add plane binding to dispc node

Tomi Valkeinen tomi.valkeinen at ti.com
Wed Apr 4 14:56:46 UTC 2018

On 04/04/18 17:36, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Benoit,
>
> Thank you for the patch.
>
> On Monday, 26 March 2018 19:21:25 EEST Benoit Parrot wrote:
>> Currently all available display pipelines (i.e. plane) and output port
>> resources are exposed to user-space. In some cases it is needed to be
>> able to restrict which resources are actually visible from user-space.
>> Also in cases where a display wider than 2048 pixels is to be supported
>> more than one video pipeline is needed. In this case the 2nd hardware
>> pipeline needed is not visible to user space applications.
>>
>> These video pipeline definitions must be statically defined so that
>> the number of visible pipelines does not change from the user-space
>> perspective.
>>
>> In order to allow this we are adding an optional 'plane' sub-node to
>> the generic DISPC node.
>
> I'm sorry but this is really configuration data, it doesn't describe the
> hardware. I don't think these properties belong to DT.

I agree, but the question then is: where should it be? There was a
discussion in the v1 thread about this, and as far as I see, there are
no other usable alternatives.

 Tomi

--
Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki