AMD graphics performance regression in 4.15 and later

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at mozilla.com
Fri Apr 6 15:30:02 UTC 2018

Hi Christian,

Is there a way to turn off these huge pages at boot-time/run-time? Right
now the recent kernels are making Firefox pretty much unusable for me.
I've been able to revert the patch from 4.15 but it's not really a
long-term solution.

You mention that the purpose of the patch is to improve performance, but
I haven't actually noticed anything running faster on my system. Is
there any particular test where I'm supposed to see an improvement
compared to 4.14?

I'm not sure what you mean by "We mitigated the problem by avoiding the
slow coherent DMA code path on almost all platforms on newer kernels". I
tested up to 4.16 and the performance regression is just as bad as it is
for 4.15.

Unlike the older hardware reported on kernel bug 198511, the hardware I
have is quite recent (RX 560) and still being sold. I've also confirmed
that neither nvidia (on the same machine) nor intel GPUs (on a less
powerful machine) are affected, so it seems like there's a way to avoid
that slow performance. I'm not saying that what Firefox is doing is
ideal (I don't know what it does and why), but it still seems like
something that should still be avoided in the kernel.

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc