RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Cyr, Aric Aric.Cyr at amd.com
Tue Apr 10 15:35:35 UTC 2018

Why?  Even if they drift, you know you want to show your 24Hz video frame for 41.6666ms and adaptive sync can ensure that with reasonable accuracy.
All we're doing is eliminating the need for frame rate converters from the application and offloading that to hardware.

> > Time-based presentation seems to be the right approach for preventing
> > micro-stutter in games as well, Croteam developers have been researching
> > this.
> >

> I'm not sure if the driver can ever give a guarantee of the exact time a flip occurs. What we have control over with our HW is frame
> duration.
>
> Are Croteam devs trying to predict render times? I'm not sure how that would work. We've had bad experience in the past with
> games that try to do framepacing as that's usually not accurate and tends to lead to more problems than benefits.

For gaming, it doesn't make sense nor is it feasible to know how exactly how long a render will take with microsecond precision, very coarse guesses at best.  The point of adaptive sync is that it works *transparently* for the majority of cases, within the capability of the HW and driver.  We don't want to have every game re-write their engine to support this, but we do want the majority to "just work".

The only exception is the video case where an application may want to request a fixed frame duration aligned to the video content.  This requires an explicit interface for the video app, and our proposal is to keep it simple:  app knows how long a frame should be presented for, and we try to honour that.

-Aric