RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Nicolai Hähnle nicolai.haehnle at amd.com
Tue Apr 10 16:37:34 UTC 2018

On 10.04.2018 18:26, Cyr, Aric wrote:
> That presentation time doesn’t need to come to kernel as such and
> actually is fine as-is completely decoupled from adaptive sync.  As long
> as the video player provides the new target_frame_duration_ns on the
> flip, then the driver/HW will target the correct refresh rate to match
> the source content.  This simply means that more often than not the
> video presents will  align very close to the monitor’s refresh rate,
> resulting in a smooth video experience.  For example, if you have 24Hz
> content, and an adaptive sync monitor with a range of 40-60Hz, once the
> target_frame_duration_ns is provided, driver can configure the monitor
> to a fixed refresh rate of 48Hz causing all video presents to be
> frame-doubled in hardware without further application intervention.

What about multi-monitor displays, where you want to play an animation
that spans multiple monitors. You really want all monitors to flip at
the same time.

I understand where you're coming from, but the perspective of refusing a
target presentation time is a rather selfish one of "we're the display,
we're the most important, everybody else has to adjust to us" (e.g. to
get perfect sync between video and audio). I admit I'm phrasing it in a
bit of an extreme way, but perhaps this phrasing helps to see why that's
just not a very good attitude to have.

All devices (whether video or audio or whatever) should be able to
receive a target presentation time.

If the application can make your life a bit easier by providing the
targetted refresh rate as additional *hint-only* parameter (like in your
24 Hz --> 48 Hz doubling example), then maybe we should indeed consider
that.

Cheers,
Nicolai