RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Apr 10 17:13:17 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-10 05:35 PM, Cyr, Aric wrote:

>>> Also, a fixed target frame duration isn't suitable even for
>>> video playback, due to drift between the video and audio clocks.
>
> Why?  Even if they drift, you know you want to show your 24Hz video
> frame for 41.6666ms and adaptive sync can ensure that with reasonable
> accuracy.

Due to the drift, the video player has to occasionally either skip a
frame or present it twice to prevent audio and video going out of sync,
resulting in visual artifacts.

With time-based presentation and variable refresh rate, audio and video
can stay in sync without occasional visual artifacts.

It would be a pity to create a "variable refresh rate API" which doesn't
allow harnessing this strength of variable refresh rate.