RFC for a render API to support adaptive sync and VRR

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Apr 11 10:28:21 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-10 07:25 PM, Cyr, Aric wrote:
>> From: Michel Dänzer [mailto:michel at daenzer.net]

>>> Yes, I agree completely.  However that's only truly relevant for fixed
>>> refreshed rate displays.
>>
>> No, it also affects variable refresh; possibly even more in some cases,
>> because the presentation time is less predictable.
>
> Yes, and that's why you don't want to do it when you have variable refresh.  The hardware in the monitor and GPU will do it for you, so why bother?
> The input to their algorithms will be noisy causing worst estimations.  If you just present as fast as you can, it'll just work (within reason).

If a frame is presented earlier than the time corresponding to the state
of the world as displayed in the frame, it results in stutter, just as
when it's presented too late.

> The majority of gamers want maximum FPS for their games, and there's quite frequently outrage at a particular game when they are limited to something lower that what their monitor could otherwise support (i.e. I don't want my game limited to 30Hz if I have a shiny 144Hz gaming display I paid good money for).

That doesn't (have to) happen.

See
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025407/Advanced-Graphics-Techniques-Tutorial-The
for Croteam's talk about this at this year's GDC. It says the best API
available so far is the Vulkan extension VK_GOOGLE_display_timing, which
(among other things) allows specifying the earliest desired presentation
time via VkPresentTimeGOOGLE::desiredPresentTime . (The talk also
mentions that they previously experimented with VDPAU, because it allows
specifying the target presentation time)