[Patch 2/4] dt-bindings: display/ti: Add plane binding to dispc node

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Apr 19 06:34:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 05:37:25PM +0300, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> Hi Rob,

> >> We can decide not to support 2k+ resolutions for HDMI, which, with this
> >> series, happens by not reserving dual-plane for the HDMI.
> >
> > Right. So turn this around. Define in DT what is the maximum
> > resolution supported for HDMI and configure the planes based on that.
>
> But the kernel cannot know what the user wants to do, so it cannot
> configure the planes. If we have an HDMI output which supports 2k+ and a
> -2k LCD, and 4 hw planes, we can set up the planes at least in the
> following ways:
>
> - One virtual plane on HDMI, two normal planes on LCD. Here the normal
> planes can also be used on the HDMI, as long as the input width is -2k.
>
> - One virtual plane on HDMI, one virtual plane on LCD, but sometimes
> both planes on the same display (either HDMI or LCD).
>
> - No virtual planes (and fbdev support disabled). This needs the
> userspace to take care not to configure 2k+ planes. But considering that
> the modes supported are still quit close to 2k in width, I believe
> upscaling a 2k plane cover the whole display would provide quite ok image.
>
> Each of those requires a different virtual plane setup.

Why do you want to hardcode this in DT? The recommended approach is to
have a bunch of virtual planes, and runtime assign whatever hw resources
you need to get there. If you run out of hw planes you just fail with
-EINVAL in atomic_check.

And reassigning hw planes is allowed to be really expensive, that's why we
have the ALLOW_MODESET flag so userspace can choose whether it wants to
allow expensive reassignment or not.

For examples, see what msm folks are trying to do right now.
-Daniel

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch