[VERY RFC 0/2] iommu: optionally skip attaching to a DMA domain

Robin Murphy robin.murphy at arm.com
Mon Apr 30 12:28:46 UTC 2018

On 11/04/18 19:55, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> I've been struggling with a problem for a while and I haven't been able to come
> up with a clean solution. Rob convinced me to stop complaining and do
> _something_ and hopefully this can spur a good discussion.
>
> The scenario is basically this: The MSM GPU wants to manage its own IOMMU
> virtual address space in lieu of using the DMA API to do so. The most important
> reason is that when per-instance pagetables [1] are enabled each file descriptor
> uses its own pagetable which are dynamically switched between contexts. In
> conjunction with this we use a split pagetable scheme to allow global buffers
> be persistently mapped so even a single pagetable has multiple ranges that need
> to be utilized based on buffer type.
>
> Obviously the DMA API isn't suitable for this kind of specialized use. We want
> to push it off to the side, allocate our own domain, and use it directly with
> the IOMMU APIs. In a perfect world we would just not use the DMA API and attach
> our own domain and that would be the end of the story. Unfortunately this is not
> a perfect world.
>
> In order to switch the pagetable from the GPU the SoC has some special wiring so
> that the GPU can reprogram the TTBR0 register in the IOMMU to the appropriate
> value. For a variety of reasons the hardware is hardcoded to only be able to
> access context bank 0 in the SMMU device. Long story short; if the DMA
> domain is allocated during bus enumeration and attached to context bank 0 then
> by the time we get to the driver domain we have long since lost our chance to
> get the context bank we need.

Red herrings abound! That's not actually the DMA domain's fault at all,
it just happens to fall out of the current SMMU driver behaviour. If the
context bank allocator went top-down instead of bottom-up (IIRC I nearly
ended up with that at one point during refactoring all that lot, or
maybe that was the SMR allocator...) then you'd see a very different
perspective of the problem.

The driver could certainly do with being cleverer in terms of not
keeping hardware CBs allocated for inactive domains - right now I don't
think you can even move a device from one domain to another at all if
you only have a single context bank, which is pretty bogus. That alone
might even manage to hide this problem, but I wouldn't like to rely on
it. The "device X can only use context bank N" condition is a real
hardware limitation which should be described by firmware, but I don't
have any immediate good ideas as to how :(

The matter of opting out of DMA ops which expect the default domain is a
separate and more general issue, so I won't start a fork of that
discussion here.

Robin.