How to gracefully handle pci remove

Andrey Grodzovsky Andrey.Grodzovsky at amd.com
Mon Aug 27 16:04:55 UTC 2018

Hi everybody , I am trying to resolve various problems I observe when
logically removing AMDGPU device from pci - echo 1 >
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/remove

One of the problems I encountered was hitting WARNs  in
amdgpu_gem_force_release. It complaints  about still open client FDs and
BOs allocations which is obvious since

we didn't let user space clients know about the device removal and hence
they won't release allocations and won't close their FDs.

Question - how other drivers handle this use case, especially eGPUs
since they indeed may be extracted in any moment, is there any way to
notify Xorg and other clients about this so they may

have a chance to release all their allocations and probably terminate ?
Maybe some kind of uevent ?

Andrey