Expose more EDID fields to userspace

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Dec 24 10:23:00 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 09:16:13AM +0000, Simon Ser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Right now, the kernel parses EDIDs and exposes some of the data to
> userspace. For instance, drmModeConnector has mm{Width,Height} and
> subpixel.
>
> Generally, userspace also has another EDID parser. For instance,
> wlroots uses it just to get the make/model/serial. I've talked about
> this at XDC 2018, and someone mentioned it could be a good idea to
> de-duplicate the work.

Could have been me ...

> Would it be reasonable to expose those as DRM connector properties?

Yes, very much. Aside from the kernel-side implementation all we need is
the userspace per

https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm/gpu/drm-uapi.html#open-source-userspace-requirements

Important: Don't merge the userspace side into your main branch before
it's all reviewed.

And ideally some igts (we have infrastructure to inject edids and hence
can check that the right stuff comes back):

https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm/gpu/drm-uapi.html#testing-and-validation

Cheers, Daniel

> Thanks,
> --