[Intel-gfx] DRM Inquiry

John Sledge john_sledget at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 02:07:04 UTC 2018

 Hi Jani,
I like to understand how the DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=y kick off.
Regards,John

    On Monday, June 11, 2018, 7:36:51 PM GMT+8, Jani Nikula <jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:

 On Mon, 11 Jun 2018, John Sledge <john_sledget at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I was able to manage your advice on the
> drm_dp_aux_chardev. Though I still need to learn more about the DRM vs
> kernel process flow. Like for example, upon changing/adding
> DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV in kernel .config, How did DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV was
> being invoke here? From the code, I notice character device will be
> created under drm_dp_aux_register_devnode method.
> For example I made two kernel 4.6 with DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=y and
> another kernel 4.6 with DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=n.
> So the steps was to build and install the kernel with
> DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=y. Once finish, I tried to reboot and verified the
> /dev/drm_dp_aux_chardev* and it was there.
> Now, I will change the .config DRM_DP_AUXCHARDEV=n then follow the
> steps below to manual build the DRM module. I'm not really sure if I'm
> correct on this one.

Why are you disabling it again? Just enable the config, use the
resulting kernel, and do the rest in userspace.

> 1. rm /dev/drm_dp_aux_chardev* 2. make modules_prepare3. make
> SUBDIRS=scripts/mod4. make SUBDIRS=drivers/gpu/drm modules5. cp
> drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
> /lib/modules/4.6.0-94.11-default/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm6. ... I copy
> all .ko under drm to the lib/modules/4.67. depmod8. modprobe
> i9159. ... I also modprobe all modules10. reboot
> The result was /dev/drm_dp_aux_chardev* was still there. My
> expectation was it would disrepair or remove.

Don't do this. I don't understand what you're trying to do.

> Please have comments and advice.

Please explain what you're trying to do to begin with. What's your end
goal?

BR,
Jani.

PS. Please prefer plain text instead of html on the list.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center