[RFC 0/7] drm/omap: Module parameter for display order configuration

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Fri May 25 20:09:23 UTC 2018

Hi Peter,

On Monday, 4 September 2017 13:03:36 EEST Peter Ujfalusi wrote:

I should drop dates when I reply to such old e-mails...

> Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
> Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki
> On 2017-09-01 14:36, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> >> We have boards with LCD panel and HDMI for example and in DT the LCD is
> >> set as display0, but in certain useage scenarios it is desired to have
> >> the HDMI as the 'main' display instead of the LCD.
> >
> > One could argue that the DT should then be updated. The device tree is a
> > description of the whole system, not just the board. If a board is
> > integrated in a system that makes HDMI the primary display, it would make
> > sense for DT to reflect that.
>
> Yes, in case when the device is prepared for a use case this can be done
> with recompiling the DT, but when you have a device which uses the LCD
> as primary display by design and move that to connect it to a HDMI
> TV/monitor and want to use it there for a prolonged time, you might not
> want to set up a development environment just to recompile the DT. In
> this case you just add the kernel parameter and be done with the
> adaptation to the new use case.

One could also argue that in that case it would be better to handle that in
userspace, as it would be more user-friendly than having to change the kernel
command line.

(What, does it show that I'm trying to push features out of the kernel ? :-))

> >> The first 6 patch of the series is doing some generic clean up and
> >> prepares the code so the display ordering is going to be easy to add.
> >
> > This will conflict with the work I'm doing on merging the omapdrm and
> > omapdss driver, so I'm a bit reluctant to merge this first :-/
>
> Understand. I will update the patches based on the comments and roll it
> in my wip branch for now and going to send v1 when the omapdrm is
> ompadss is merged?

I'll reply to the v2 of your patch series to address this.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart