[RFC] drm/bridge/sii902x: Fix EDID readback

Fabrizio Castro fabrizio.castro at bp.renesas.com
Fri Nov 2 12:05:05 UTC 2018

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your feedback!

> Subject: Re: [RFC] drm/bridge/sii902x: Fix EDID readback
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 04:55:53PM +0000, Fabrizio Castro wrote:
>
> > Having the option of using "unlocked" flavours of reads and writes
> > is what we need here, but looking at drivers/base/regmap/regmap-i2c.c
> > I couldn't find anything suitable for my case, maybe Mark could advise
> > on this one? I am sure I overlooked something here, is there a better
> > way to address this?
>
> As Linus said you can go as far as writing your own read and write
> functions if you want to.  That seems to be the easiest thing, though I
> am suspicous that you're having to use the I2C framework in this way -
> it doesn't sound terribly clever.  You could I guess also just have a
> custom function for whatever register is doing all this stuff that just
> ignores regmap and bodge things that way while using regmap as normal
> for everything else.

I agree, I have prototyped it and it seems to be working just fine.
Will send a patch addressing all of the comments, including this one.

Fab

Renesas Electronics Europe Ltd, Dukes Meadow, Millboard Road, Bourne End, Buckinghamshire, SL8 5FH, UK. Registered in England & Wales under Registered No. 04586709.