Performance regression in ast drm driver

Thomas Zimmermann tzimmermann at suse.de
Mon Nov 12 19:36:00 UTC 2018

Hi Jean

Am 12.11.18 um 15:36 schrieb Jean Delvare:
> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, 2018-11-09 at 10:04 +1000, David Airlie wrote:

>>> And in the meantime, what bad will happen if we just revert the ast
>>> portion of that commit?
>>
>> This seems likely to be a hw problem with PCI writes to the AST "GPU",
>> since it's just some sort of RAM + ARM on the end of a PCIE bus, we've
>> definitely seen possible issues in the past with write combining
>> around some of the mga GPUs with some CPUs.
>
> Takashi asked me to compare the contents of
> /sys/kernel/debug/x86/pat_memtype_list before and after the commit
> above. Before the commit, we have:
>
> uncached-minus @ 0xfafe0000-0xfb000000
> uncached-minus @ 0xfb000000-0xfb005000
> write-combining @ 0xfb005000-0xfb584000
>
> After the commit, we have:
>
> uncached-minus @ 0xfafe0000-0xfb000000
> uncached-minus @ 0xfb000000-0xfb005000
> uncached-minus @ 0xfb000000-0xfb800000
> uncached-minus @ 0xfb005000-0xfb584000
>
> The corresponding lines in /proc/iomem are:
>
> f0000000-fed8ffff : PCI Bus 0000:00
>   faf00000-fb7fffff : PCI Bus 0000:01
>     fafe0000-faffffff : 0000:01:01.0
>     fb000000-fb7fffff : 0000:01:01.0
>
> Does it help? Is the change of type expected? Is it not a problem that
> one of the ranges is overlapping with 2 other ranges?

I debugged this problem with an AST 2000. What happens is that the
vesafb driver attaches first to the graphics device. It disables
write-combining and falls back to uncached access; unless the kernel has
been booted with video=vesafb:mtrr:3. Then it will set-up WC correctly.
The respective code is at [1].

Best regards
Thomas

[1]