[REGRESSION] boot-screen override by "34db50e55656 efifb: Copy the ACPI BGRT"

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 13:23:38 UTC 2018

Hey

Since this commit:

    34db50e55656 efifb: Copy the ACPI BGRT

the kernel will override boot-splashs unasked. This breaks the
graphical boot-process on our setups. In particular, we have a setup
where an efi-boot-entry draws the early boot-splash on-screen, then
hands-over to the linux-kernel + initrd. The boot-splash daemon in the
initrd then takes over control of possible animations.

With the mentioned commit compiled in, the kernel will redraw the
firmware logo on screen at a random time without any way to intervene.

What is the intention of this commit? Why is the kernel re-drawing the
firmware logo unasked? If someone during the boot-process draws
content on the screen, I would prefer if the kernel does not clear
that on driver load.

Can we either provide an option to disable this feature, or revert the commit?

Thanks
David