[RFC 0/2] Add AUX device entries for DP MST devices

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 12 17:30:11 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:05:29PM -0400, sunpeng.li at amd.com wrote:
> From: Leo Li <sunpeng.li at amd.com>
>
> Hi all,
>
> This is a follup to this change made by Ville to add MST aux nodes:
> https://github.com/vsyrjala/linux/commit/cac63f799ee2f5fbbe4f0a375383f13e03d640a5
> Patch 2/2 describes what I added on top.

Cool. I take you got it to actually work? IIRC I never managed that :P

> Sending as an RFC since there are some items I'm not certain on:
>
> 1) Only expose aux devices for physical ports. FWICT, only DPTX and DPRX
>    can handle AUX transactions, leaving logical ports out.

Hmm. My MST-foo is admittedly weak so I'm not sure. A quick trawl through
the spec didn't provide any solid explanations either :( However eg.
"Figure 2-83: Example Multi-function MST Branch-Sink Device Enumeration"
in the DP 1.4 spec does appear to show kind of virtual DPCD thing behind
a logical port. But I'm not really sure what than means.

> 2) Naming of exposed AUX devices. I'm not sure if the scheme implemented
>    here is the best approach.

I'm not sure magic naming schemes are the best. I believe we do have
the sysfs hierarchy which allows you to find the right aux dev for
the connector, but I do admit that can be a bit cumbersome to use.
Also I'm not sure if all the things we might want to talk to are
even represented by a connector, so maybe we do need something else.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel